A képen a Dunaparti-piac látható, amely a Petőfi tértől a Vámház körútig, húzódott végig a Duna partján. Főleg friss zöldség és gyümölcs volt beszerezhető. Háttérben a Gellérthegy látható a citadellával.
Postcard of the Duna Market from Petőfi Square to the customs house ring road along the Duna bank with fresh vegetables and fruits. The Gellért Hill in the background with the Citadella fortification fortress.
The Citadella is the fortification located upon the top of Gellért Hill in Budapest, Hungary. The word is exclusively used by other languages to refer to the Gellért Hill citadel which occupies a place with strategic importance in Budapest's military history.
The fortress was built in 1851 by Mr. Julius Jacob von Haynau, a commander of the Austrian Empire, and was designed by Mr. Emmanuel Zitta and Mr. Ferenc Kasselik, after the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. It occupies almost the entire 235 metres high plateau. The fortress is a U-shaped structure built about a central courtyard, being 220 metres long, 60 metres wide, and 4 metres tall. It had a complement of sixty cannons and was built by Hungarian forced labourers. In June 1854 Austrian troops settled in the citadel. After the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 and the establishment of Austria-Hungary, the Hungarians demanded the destruction of the Citadel, but the garrison troops left only in 1897 when the main gate was symbolically damaged. It was not until late 1899 when the city took possession of the Citadel. A few months later, in 1900, the walls were demolished.
In the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, Soviet troops occupied the Citadella and fired down into the city during the assault that overthrew the Nagy-led Hungarian government.